Sunday 27 March 2016

Easter weekend tradition

It's my tradition to plant my 1st early Potatoes at Easter time. 
These 'Lady Christl' have been chitting for a while and are ready to go in, so Good Friday was the day.
Two rows already planted and as you can see the third is ready for covering. 

First I dug a trench, watered it well and put potato fertiliser in the trench & on the soil I'm putting back into the trench to cover the seed potatoes. 

Each potato is 12" (30cm) apart, in trenches 24" (60cm) between.
We also planted out some Broad Beans I started off at home in root trainers. 

There are 2 rows with 14 plants in each. 

I will have to protect these young plants, from frost and cold nights, see below.
Easter Sunday:
Another important job to do this weekend was to tidy up these beds and plant some new Strawberry runners, taken from last years 'Honeoye' plants. 
We had this 'Merryweather' Damson tree growing in a large pot at home, so we decided to move it to the Allotment in this sheltered corner. 
I made sure the hole I dug had plenty of well rotted manure in it first and watered it in well, hope it likes its new sunny spot.
Next job was to finish clearing this patch, I had to move some Spinach first though. 

I need this for the 2nd early 'Charlotte' potatoes, still chitting at home. 
I will put these in soon, using the same method as above with the 1st earlies. 
So a lovely long weekend of clearing & planting, I also covered the Broad Beans with fleece (you can see the white fleece tunnel in this picture) just to protect the young plants as they establish. 

Weather was mixed, Good Friday was dry and mostly sunny, but Sunday we had rain, wind, sun & even hail!

Thanks for reading/returning. Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment