First job to do today, tidy up the Strawberries, as they have finished fruiting and peg down into pots all the runners, to make new plants. We aren't planning to replace any of our plants yet, but will sell these new plants in forthcoming plant sales etc.
This patch was where the Beetroot were growing, quite alot of it has been harvested, some for Chutney, some to eat and 3Lb I am making wine out of. There are still 12 left in the ground, maybe for more Chutney.
But in the space I have put 36 Musselburgh Leeks, each leek that we started off in seed cells, was dropped into a 4" deep hole made with a 'dibber' each one 8" apart from the next, then watered in well.
Because we were away for a weeks holiday, our Chickens had not had a trip out to the Allotment for a while, so today, as you can see they came, here they are scratching around the Strawberries that we have cleared & potted the runners from. You can only see Flo & Matilda here, Freda & Maud were both dust bathing amongst the Raspberries!
You may be wondering why I titled this weeks Blog 'Eat what we grow week' Well we have set ourselves a challenge, to only eat what we grow/produce, exceptions are Milk & Juice,we can even make our own Bread.
So a good start: Runner Beans, French Beans, Broad Beans, Spinach, Potatoes, Tomatoes and some mixed fruit: Blackberries & Blueberries.
Update: Tonight's dinner was Spinach Rice, followed with Summer Pudding made from mixed berries harvested during the week.
The Marigold Flowers are for some soap my Wife is making, only the petals are needed. The Sweet Peas are for decoration :)
Other jobs done:
Cleared the Raspberry canes that have finished.
Weeded around the remaining Beetroot.
Placed boards under Squashes & Pumpkins, so they don't rot on the soil (straw will do, but can still get soggy if it rains).
Weeded the Greenhouse.
Thanks for reading/returning. Ian.