Sunday 17 November 2013

Weekend of Potato digging & yield results.

This weekend I have dug up all the remaining Potatoes.

Here you can see the Picasso main crop, I estimate about 60lbs (27kgs) but will have to dry & remove as much soil before final weighing.
Stored in Hessian sacks they will store over winter if kept cool and in a dark place.

You can see the row marking labels I make are now sack labels.

2 sacks of Picasso, 1 sack of Valour (both main crop) and 1 smaller sack of Anya (salad).
I also dug up the last of the Charlotte (2nd early) there's about 12lbs (5.4 kgs) here. I have kept a record of all the weights as we dug them up, so check out my final yields below. 
So as you can see a very productive weekend, all the Potatoes dug up, weeds removed and a bonfire too.

Lovely weather for digging too, quite mild but dry. But the forecast said the temperature will drop next week which is why I decided to take this opportunity to get digging! 
So the final weigh in:

Foremost (1st early) 25 lbs (11.3 kgs)
Charlotte (2nd early) 22 lbs (10 kgs)
Anya (salad) 23 lbs (10.5 kgs)
Valour (main crop) 82 lbs (37 kgs)
Picasso (main crop) 80 lbs (36 kgs)

Considering I bought about 3kgs of each as seed spuds (15 kgs in total) I think a total yield of 105 kgs is very good.

In this photo you can see my Joseph Bentley Potato Fork, I would highly recommend you get one, as it's name suggests it digs Potatoes perfectly, the flat/blunt tines make digging easy, without damaging too many spuds. I dug up all those and only speared about 6. 
It's so good I use it for most of my digging tasks.

Thanks for reading/returning. Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment