Sunday 7 April 2013

Four hours of weeding and help from our Chickens too

Today was a great day for digging/weeding, dry and milder.
So we started to dig out one of the Strawberry beds, one we have had for over 10yrs, the plants were less productive & needed replacing. But early on in the digging we realised the sides of the raised bed were rotten, so we have dug it out completely. I will dig right up to the fence as there was a narrow path there, thick with weeds! So have decided to put 2 smaller raised beds in, a work in progress.
Another patch I had left until today was next to the Comfrey, it was a bit weedy and large clumps of grass had taken root, so it needed a good dig over and I hope you agree it looks a lot better.
I have left a few Rainbow Chard plants in from last year, as they will perk up as it gets warmer. We grew 'Sarpo Mira' Potatoes here last year, which did really well. But I'm not growing them again, not just yet.  
I'm glad I put plastic Bottle Cloches over the Broad Beans, as they look fine, the night times are still below freezing so wont risk leaving the mini cloches off just yet. The bottle tops are not screwed on tight, but only by half a turn so they act as ventilation we don't want them to wilt on warm days.
We treated our Chickens to a day out again today, I moved the temporary netting run to a different part of our plot, where we grew Kale last year, in the 4 hours we were there they have done a good job of weeding! But will have to bring them back to finish the job.


So as I said it was a lovely day, I would say it was almost warm, burnt the weeds in the Incinerator Bin too. I shot a video of our Chickens enjoying their day out, watch the link below:



Thanks for reading/Returning. Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment