Thursday 18 August 2011

Busy ,busy week still Harvesting

Another busy week harvesting, this is what we have collected this week so far. On Monday a Trug full of goodies:
Courgettes, Yellow, Green & Round.
Pepper
French Beans
Carrots
Peas
Tomatoes
Raspberries too

Today still more Courgettes.
French Beans
Broad Beans
and 1.75 lb of Autumn Raspberries.
If you remember last time I mentioned how to get an extra crop of Raspberries, most of what I have harvested already are from canes not cut back last autumn.



The Allotment looks lovely and lush now, lots of Flowers and the Bees are still visiting.

But planning to plant out more Leeks, Carrots and Brassicas to over winter.

On the left are the 'Markies' main crop Potatoes, soon I will cut back all the dying foiliage 'halums' to harden off the skins before digging up.

If you remember back in Jan/Feb I used an old shelf unit, with added shelves, for 'chitting' the seed potatoes.

It's now being used to dry the Onions, I started to dry them on top of the Chicken run, but the rain set in and I had to bring them inside, so thought the 'chitting unit' would be ideal and it is.

It's important to dry them not touching one another, where rotting can set in and I think I have achieved this here.

Thanks for reading/returning. Ian.

2 comments:

  1. Great harvest! And you certainly won't be popping into the supermarket for onions anytime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Fab harvest!!! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

    ReplyDelete