Sunday, 2 January 2011
1st Sunday of the New Year
It seems to be a tradition now, looking back to last year, we were on the plot on Sunday 3rd Jan 2010 too.
First job was to clear this raised bed and put the Garlic in, 3 varieties: Aquila Wight, Elephant & one Un-named. I put netting over just while they get established as we get Pheasants that just claw bulbs up whilst searching for insects etc.
But the main job was to collect all the old/dead foliage up and have a big Bonfire. I love this time of year as you start with a clean slate and can plan whats going where.
The Seeds have arrived & the Potatoes are due soon, so now the ground preparation can start.
So after 3+ hours work we managed to take down all the Pea & Bean frames, pull up all the spent flowers, weeds etc. Luckily most were dry enough to burn so the Bonfire was quite a big one (although burnt down somewhat in this photo).
Eventually all the ash will be dug back into the soil, recycling at it's best :)
Thanks for reading/returning. Ian