But sunny days and sadly no rain for weeks!
Made from an off cut of timber, I shaped the bottom to be a rounded point, cut grooves at 6",8",10" for depth and 12" & 15" for distance between spuds. I added a handle from an offcut of broom handle.
It works really well.I planted 4 rows of Charlotte, first I dug a trench, put manure in the bottom then put the soil back in the trench, using my Potato planter/dibber I made a hole 6" deep into the soil/manure and placed a potato in each hole. Watered, then dragged soil over using a rake, to fill the holes and make a shallow ridge.
Jo planted 4 rows of Broad Beans, she started them off at home in the greenhouse.
Jo also planted 2 rows of Peas, to climb up 18" chicken wire, also started off at home, in toilet roll tubes, so the roots aren't disturbed while planting.
We made a wigwam with netting for Sweet Peas.
We have a obelisk at home with Sweet Peas on too.
First soil was raked flat, compressed by walking over and some Lime added (brassicas like firm, limed soil) then netting added as we get Pheasants and they will pull them up!
There is just enough space left for a final 3 rows of Maris Piper, will put those in next week, to stagger harvesting.
Sadly our rain butts are almost empty, so we are getting water from the well.
Thanks for reading/returning. Ian & Jo