Sunday 31 March 2019

Potato planting time

Saturday: 
Yes Potato planting time. 
These 1st early Pentland Javelin & Foremost are ready to go in, they have been 'chitting' since Jan and now the weather is better the soil is ready too.
As previous years, I dug a trench, put lots of well rotted manure in the bottom, back filled slightly and watered well. Then placed a potato every 12" along the trench, then raked the soil back over. 
So 6 rows now done , 3 of each. I have Charlotte still to put in and 2 lots of Mains yet to put in.
Sunday: 
I finished digging over this patch, I think the main Potatoes will have to go here as I have them 'chitting' at home.
I noticed the Apple trees have buds, almost flowers now, we are excited and hope to have lots of Cox's Apples this year.
Also the Damson tree, now in its 3rd year, is full of blossom we cant wait to see the fruit it bears, as last year we only got 1or 2 fruits.
The next really big job is sorting out the front of our plot, needs a new fence, since the old one blew down in a recent storm! A new gate & a hard standing area for the car too. So we have been clearing and measuring for the new fence, so watch this space.
But at least the potatoes are now labelled. 
I always print & laminate labels and use them as sack labels for when in storage.
So a busy weekend, Jo did some digging & weeding and planted some Runner Beans into cells, as she prepared the bed and added plenty of muck ready for them.

I put a few posts in ready for the new fence, that I have now measured for and have the timber ready.

Thanks for reading/returning. Ian & Jo 

No comments:

Post a Comment