Sunday, 12 July 2015

A good day and a cracking harvest, the best yet!

Dug up some more Rocket 1st early potatoes as needed the space for another crop to go in (see below). 

There is about 15lb (6.8 kg) from only 6 tubers planted. 
I think that's a good yield.
So in the space left after digging all those Rocket spuds, I built a cane wig-wam and put in 12 climbing Borlotto Lingua di Fuoco (Firetongue) beans.

As they get to about 6ft (1.8mtrs) tall I used 8ft (2.4mtr) canes pushed well into the ground that I prepared. 
Using weed suppressant fabric in the middle, as it will be hard to weed when the beans are fully grown.  
In the main spud bed, the Cara (at the back) have grown well with all the rain & sun we have had. 

In the foreground I've done the 1st earthing up of the Kerrs Pink spuds as 50%+ have come through just 3 weeks after planting.
Back in March we planted out the Carousel Pink garlic. 
Well today we lifted it and are now drying in the greenhouse, I will post a photo when dried and plaited up :) 
And here is that bumper harvest:
Gooseberries, Blackcurrents, Peas, Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Broad Beans, Rhubarb, Courgettes x3 & Sweet Peas.  Not forgetting all the Rocket Spuds and the Garlic.
So the weather was kind to us and we had a very busy afternoon on the plot, also managed to get a bit more of the new path edge in, so its almost done. 

Thanks for reading/returning. Ian

2 comments:

  1. So enjoy your diligent recording....so simply helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Lynne, so keep returning :)

      Delete