A full nine hours of work done today on the Hen House & Run.
But it's finally finished and just in time too.
As you can see in this picture, I have put half Forest Bark and half Turf, to give the Chickens 2 places to search for bugs etc.
I also placed some off cuts of branches for them to perch on during the day. I was told to provide something for them to play with and hope they like what I have done.
Here you can see the inside of the shed, sorry, Hen House.
'Pop Hole' on right, Nesting Boxes on left and Perching poles at the back.
Plenty of room for our 'Girls'
We have already chosen names, but you will have to wait, not telling just yet :)
Here you can see the Perching Poles close up.
I made them from branches salvaged from a tree that blew down in the recent storms, when we went on the Poultry keeping course at Reaseheath College we were told to use rounded poles not square, so when I saw these branches thought they would be ideal.
Here's a close-up of the Nesting Boxes, where our Hens should lay their eggs.
I made these from old signs I had on my old shop front, but saved them as a reminder of better days. But thought they would be ideal to make the nest boxes from. The way they ended up was purely coincidental & not planned.
I hardly bought any wood, except for the run frame, and made all the interior fittings & pop hole from salvaged & saved wood, chipboard & MDF. Even all the screws used were left over from other jobs/projects, oh and I bought 2 hinges for the run door.
Well the Chickens arrive, well we are collecting them, tomorrow (Saturday 19th March) so expect increased Blogging from me :)
Thanks for reading/returning. Ian