Sunday, 24 February 2013

A good days digging & weeding

 So today was a good day for digging, hasn't rained for at least a week, so the soil was light and easy to dig.
This corner had been left to the weeds for a few years, mostly Nettles and Ground Elder, but I managed to dig most of that out.

The raised bed to the back right had Garlic in last year and, the lighter area to the left is where the Victoria Rhubarb is growing and the patch in the foreground is the Herb bed.
As I said in the video I posted last time, the current Garlic bed hadn't been weeded, so today that's one of the jobs done, looks much better.

The raised bed behind needed a good weeding too, we hope to put some Pak Choi and other early greens in there. 
The Peas 'Feltham First' are doing well in the Greenhouse and even the direct sown seed has come through now.
But the main job I wanted to do was to clear away the pile of dried weeds and woody foliage that we had piled up over the autumn/winter.

Good excuse for another Bonfire I'd say.

Thanks for reading/returning. Ian

Wednesday, 20 February 2013

February Allotment walk through video

I've posted videos before of our Chickens, so today I decided to do a walkabout of our Allotment, not a lot is growing at the moment, but I plan to do the same walkabout once a month so you can see better how the year progresses growing wise.
The Bonfire.
Burning dried weeds, dried grass, Raspberry trimmings as too woody for compost and lots an lots of Nettles pulled up today :)

Thanks for reading/watching/returning. Ian

Sunday, 3 February 2013

End of ground preparation weekend

Yesterday I finished digging over the bulk of the Potato patch, this patch measures 340 sq ft, there is still about 250 sq ft to clear and dig over but there are still Parsnips and Leeks in the ground. But at least I have prepared the ground for all the 1st Early Spuds 'Anya and 'Foremost' maybe the 'Charlotte' too, these are 'chitting' now on a cool window sill.

So on Thursday I went to a local Stables. I half filled (too heavy if filled) 12 compost bags with well rotted Horse Muck, all that muck filled my car (with the seats down). So today I spread out 6 bags of the muck, will leave it on the surface to break down for a week or two, then I will get my Rotovator out and mix it well into the soil ready for planting the Spuds.
I noticed the red buds of the Stockbridge Arrow Rhubarb breaking though, the Victoria has buds too, this means things are warming up, spring is on it's way.

Thanks for reading/returning. Ian